Wednesday, November 7, 2007

My True Passion

Michael Jordan
http://usiengmj.blogspot.com/
English 101.002
Essay #3
1,208 Words

It is just me and nature. It is early morning when the sun is peaking over the horizon. It is the evening when the sun is fading away and the darkness follows. It is me, my pole, and the water. This is my passion, fishing.
I have been fishing since I was a young boy. I lived in the city when I was younger. Fishing was something that only happened a few times a year. My father would take me fishing at my aunt and uncle’s house. It was a small pond, only about a quarter of an acre. It was an older pond, stocked with bass and bluegill. I never really liked fishing as a young boy. I never quite understood why anyone would sit there and enjoy fishing. My dad tried and tried to teach me to be patient. My cousin and I got so bored. We would always end up playing tag next to the pond, instead of fishing. This went on for many years. My father kept taking me, and I hated it.
The summer after my sixth grade year, my parents decided to move out to Trafalgar. Trafalgar is a small farm community. There is not much to do in the middle of a bunch of fields. Our old house sold faster than what we expected it. We did not have enough money at the time to rent out an apartment, until our new house was finished. We ended living in our camper for almost four months. That was the whole summer and the beginning of my seventh grade year. Throughout the summer the living quarters were tight in the twenty- four foot trailer. I am an outdoors type person. I could not stand sitting in the camper every day. One day I decided I would go out and try to find something to do. Like I said, there really is not too much out there. The one thing that was there was my neighbor’s pond. It was about fifty yards from our camper. That is when I decided to give fishing another shot. My dad was not the one telling me to try it this time. It was all my decision for once. I went out to the pond and caught a few fish. At the time it was just something to do to get out of the cramped quarters of the camper. Fishing started to grow on me over the rest of that summer. Every time I went out to fish, the more I started loving it. I have been fishing ever since that day.
Fishing is a passion that will never let go. I am obsessed with fishing, and I think I will feel this way for the rest of my life. It is kind of hard because I have been limited to the time I am able to fish over the past year. I had a job over the summer. It was good money, but it took a lot of time away from fishing. I worked over forty hours every week. Any time I was not working I was going fishing. My friend and I walked Sugar Creek about five times this summer. It is really fun to walk the creek, because it is hot outside, but the water is cool. We caught a few smallmouths out of the creek throughout the summer. Smallmouths are a blast to catch because they fight like crazy. I also fished quite a few times in the pond in front of my house. Since I worked so much, I fished at my house before and after I got off work. My father and I would go out in our john boat almost every night. We would fish until it got too dark to see. We had competitions every night to see who could catch the most. I usually won, but he is a pretty good fisherman. My boss lives right next to me, so we also go fishing together. He is really cool, and we went fishing a bunch together this past summer. We fished at my next door neighbor’s house a bunch of times. We also fished at the creek.



My neighbor and I went to the Bass Pro Shop in Clarksville about ten times this summer. It is officially the best store ever created. It has everything any fisherman would ever need. So much of my money from the summer went to that store. I bought so many different baits. Bass Pro Shop has any bait that you could ever imagine. After I came down to college I lost even more time to go fishing. Now that I am in classes and getting homework every day, it is even harder to find a time to go out to fish. I miss fishing. I have only gone fishing once since I have been down here. I fished at the lake behind the language arts building. The lake is very nice. It has a lot of fish in it, and the good thing is that they bite. I only fished for about thirty minutes, and I caught two nice size bass. I had many little bites, but did not catch all of them. It was a great time. It was nice to be able to get away from thinking about classes for a while by going fishing. Fishing is such a stress reliever. It takes my mind off of everything else. It is so peaceful to be able to go out and just fish by yourself. It is nice because you don’t have to talk to anyone, and the better part is there is no one talking to you. I wish there was more time in the day, so I could go fishing every day. If it was up to me I would love to quit school and just fish for the rest of my life. I would love to become a professional fisherman. Professional Fishermen have the best job imaginable. They get to go fishing every day. I think the best thing about being a professional fisherman would be getting everything free. They get everything for free. They get boats, trucks, tackle, rods, and reels. The cool thing about it is the get all of the best equipment there is. I would love to have a bass boat. That is pretty much my biggest dream in life. I hope that I can become wealthy enough to have a nice truck and a bass boat. I would also love to live on a lake or have my own small lake when I become older. I would try to fish every single night if I lived on a lake.
It is getting up early in the morning. It is watching the sun come up over the horizon. It is watching the sun go down and the night set in. It is my greatest passion, fishing. Something I will love for the rest of my life.

No comments: